Do you ever find yourself staring at your overflowing wardrobe, unsure of what to wear? Are you tired of spending precious minutes each morning deciding on an outfit?
If you want to look ‘put together’ without the extra time and effort, a style uniform can help you do that. A style uniform is a formula for getting dressed every day. You can wear the exact same items each and every day or you can wear different items in the same category and just use your style uniform as more of an outfit blueprint. It is an outfit that fully encompasses your style and personality and makes you feel comfortable and confident.
Having a style uniform simplifies your daily outfit decisions and saves you time. When you have a style uniform, everything you wear has been tried and tested. You know where you stand. You know you’re going to feel good in your clothes because you’re not experimenting every single day. You’re sticking with what works, and it’s empowering!
In this blog post, I will guide you through the process of creating a style uniform that suits your lifestyle and reflects your personality.
How to Create Your Own Stylish Style Uniform in 10 Steps
1. Identify your personal style: Take some time to reflect on the clothes you feel most comfortable and confident in. Consider your preferred colours, patterns, and silhouettes. You can use websites like Pinterest for inspiration. You can see my Pinterest board here. Look for common themes or recurring elements that appeal to you. This will serve as a foundation for your uniform style.
2. Assess your lifestyle and the practical aspects of your wardrobe: Consider your daily activities, work environment, and any special events you regularly attend. Which part of your lifestyle is your style uniform is for. Is it for working from home? School drop-offs and pick ups? Client meetings? etc. Remember you can have more than one style uniform.
3. Identify the key pieces of clothing that are comfortable, versatile, and appropriate for these occasions. Keep in mind that your style uniform should be adaptable to different settings and events. A simple way to practically do this is is to open your wardrobe and remove 4 of your very favourite outfits relating to your particular lifestyle: This includes bottoms, tops, outwear and dresses or jumpsuits. Grab a piece of paper or use a ‘notes’ app on your phone to note down every piece of each outfit. For example:
Outfit 1 includes: Jeans + t-shirt + blazer + trainers.
Outfit 2 includes: Utility jumpsuit and boots, and so on and so fourth.
4. Analyse and write down what you love about those outfits. Is it comfort? Colour? Cut? Fabric? Silhouette?
5. Create Your Unique Style Recipe: Now write down 3 words that all these outfits have in common. For example- Comfortable, Neutral, Classic etc. These 3 words will form your unique style recipe. You will keep referring back to them when shopping for new pieces to ensure that any new pieces reflect your aspired style.
6. Craft Your Style Formula: Taking all you have discovered into consideration, start to craft together a style formula (your style uniform) based on your favourite outfits (the pieces that make these outfits).
For example: Jeans + jumper + Blazer + Boots. Keep it simple and make sure the core of your outfit is consistent.
Here are some super stylish + easy style uniform ideas that you can implement right now:
Jeans + Jumper + Ankle Boots + Coat
Jumpsuit + Boots
Tailored Trousers + Jumper + Coat + Trainers
Straight Leather Trouser + T-shirt + Wool Blazer + Boots
Midi Dress + Coat + Boots
Midi Skirt + T- Shirt + Denim Jacket + Coat + Boots
All images taken from Pinterest
Remember these are just examples. The point of this exercise is to create your own version that aligns with your personal preferences, personality and lifestyle.
7. To add a personal touch to your style uniform, consider incorporating signature elements that make your outfits stand out. It could be unique accessories, metallic jewellery, or a signature hairstyle. These elements will make your uniform feel unique and reflect your individuality.
8. Experiment with Variation: While a style uniform provides consistency, it doesn’t mean you have to wear the exact same outfit every day. Building a uniform allows you to have a foundation upon which you can experiment and play with variations. Add a pop of colour, accessorise differently, or introduce new textures to create subtle changes. This keeps your style fresh and exciting while maintaining the overall uniformity.
9.Refine and Edit Regularly: As you wear your style uniform, it’s crucial to regularly assess and refine your wardrobe. Remove items that no longer align with your personal style or haven’t been worn in some time. Replace any worn-out pieces with new ones that fit seamlessly into your uniform. This periodic editing ensures your style remains relevant and reflective of who you are.
10. Invest in Better Quality Pieces: Once you have discovered your style uniform don’t be afraid to spend a little bit more on the pieces that fit your formula going forward, because you know you’ll be wearing them again and again. Good quality pieces will fit better, feel better and last longer.
Creating a style uniform streamlines your daily dressing routine, allowing you to look and feel your best without the stress of decision-making. By defining your personal style, assessing your lifestyle, and curating a core capsule wardrobe, you can establish a style uniform that reflects your unique personality and boosts your self-confidence. Remember to keep your style fresh by experimenting with variations and regularly refining your wardrobe. Embrace the beauty of simplicity and enjoy the benefits of a well-curated style uniform.
Until next time,
Your Personal Stylist,